Application ProcedureThe levels of credentialing will be as follows:
SUBSTANCE ABUSE THERAPY CERTIFICATION:
Level I: Registered Candidate:
Level II: Addiction Professional:
- Three years of supervised work experience (6,000 hours) specifically in the field of addictions. 1,000 hours of the 6,000 hours may be exempted if candidates possess a Diploma in behavioural sciences from a recognised Institution of Higher Learning. 2,000 hours of the 6,000 hours may be exempted if candidates possess a Bachelor’s degree in behavioural sciences from a recognised University. 4,000 hours may be exempted if candidates possess a Master’s degree in behavioural sciences from a recognised University; AND
- 270 hours of training specifically in addictions and/or mental health. Submission of the official transcripts or certificates of completion/attendance is required as proof of training; AND
- 300 hours* of supervised practical experience working in a program on managing substance abuse, of which a minimum of ten (10) hours must be spent in each of the following areas:
*Candidates are responsible to ensure that their supervisors verify these hours through the Supervisor’s Evaluation Form.
- Screening & Intake
- Assessment & Treatment Planning
- Case Management,
- Crisis Intervention,
- Client Education
- Reports and Record Keeping
- Consultation with other professionals in regard to client treatment.
- Taking and passing the APCB written or on-line examination; AND
- Submission of the certification application fee together with a signed Code of Ethics.
Please note: The Level III Certification is valid for two (2) years. Re-certification is obtainable upon application with proof of forty (40) hours of continuing education earned over two (2) years.
Level IV: Certified Master Substance Abuse Therapist (CMSAT):
This highest level of certification is exclusively for individuals who:
- Meet the Level III requirements; AND
- Have an additional 5 years of relevant work experience; AND
- Have completed formal education at the Master level.
GAMBLING THERAPY CERTIFICATION:
CGAT Level I: Gambling Therapist:
Candidates seeking Level I Certification must have completed ALL OF the following pre-requisites:
- 30 hours training in gambling therapy.
- Bachelor’s degree in a behavioural science discipline from a recognised University or an equivalent qualification in behavioural sciences from a recognised Institute of Higher Learning.
- 100 hours work specifically in gambling therapy specific achieved over 2 years.
- Taking and passing the APCB Certification Examination for Gambling
CGAT Level II: Certified Gambling Therapist:
Candidates seeking Level II Certification must have completed ALL OF the following pre-requisites:
- Completion of CGAT Level I requirements;
- Evidence of Gambling Therapy work of 2,000 hours achieved over 2 years.
- In all the above certifications, APCB reserves the right to accept or reject any applications without explanation and will not entertain any correspondence on the outcome of any applications.
- Certification will be revoked for any of the following reasons:
- Falsification of any information, including experience data, requested in the Application.
- Misrepresentation of certification status.